ShapeShapeauthorShapecrossShapeShapeShapeGrouphamburgerhomeGroupmagnifyShapeShapeShaperssShape

Illegal Fish Pens Torn Down in Manila

MANILA, PHILIPPINES - A total of 8 square kilometers of Manila Bays water were cleared of 85 illegal structures on Wednesday as the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) pushed with the second wave of its clearing operations on the waters off Cavite, Paraaque and Las Pias.

Environment Secretary Lito Atienza said the latest demolition of illegal structures in the bay area is a follow- through to the dismantling operations held last year on the waters off Cavite, where 241 structures were torn down, in close coordination with Cavite Gov. Ireneo “Ayong” Maliksi, reports Jonathan Mayuga for Business Mirror.

“The clearing of structures on Manila Bay is in keeping with the Supreme Court’s order tasking the DENR to spearhead and coordinate with other government agencies the cleanup, restoration and preservation of the water quality of the bay,” Atienza told Business Mirror.

“The SC decision is a continuing mandamus. Ibig sabihin ay huwag titigil hangga’t hindi natatapos ang trabaho hanggang ang Manila Bay ay mapanumbalik sa maganda nitong kalagayan [Work will not stop until restoration of Manila Bay’s healthy condition is achieved],” Atienza said during a media briefing shortly before the dismantling activities commenced inside the bay area that falls within the jurisdiction of Las Piñas and Parañaque City.

Atienza doused fears of the fishermen, saying that it will be the fishermen themselves who will benefit greatly from the enforcement of the SC decision as their fish catch will definitely increase once all the illegal structures are gone.

the Fish Site Editor

Learn more