Aquaculture for all
The Fish Site presents: The Vienna Sessions - Conversations about aquaculture. 9 video interviews with aquaculture thought leaders. Watch here.

Catfish Processing Up One Per Cent From Last Year

Processing +1 more

US - Farm-raised catfish processed during October 2010 totaled 40.5 million pounds round weight, up one per cent from October 2009. The average price paid to producers was 83.2 cents per pound for October 2010, up 1.6 cents from last month and 6.4 cents above a year ago.

Net pounds of processed fish sold during October 2010 totaled 18.9 million pounds, down three per cent from the comparable month in 2009. Sales of fresh fish, at 6.83 million pounds, were down three per cent from October 2009 and represented 36 per cent of total sales. Frozen fish sales, at 12.1 million pounds, were down three per cent from a year ago and accounted for the remaining 64 per cent of total fish sales. Sales of whole fish represented 19 per cent of the total fish sold, fillets accounted for 60 per cent, and the remaining 21 per cent were mostly steaks, nuggets, and value added products. The total end of the month inventory increased 11 per cent from last month but was down 14 per cent from a year ago.

The total fresh and frozen average price for October 2010 was $2.53, up 9 cents from a year ago. The October 2010 average price received by processors for total fresh fish was $2.42 per pound, up three cents from last year. Prices for fresh whole fish were $1.57 per pound, down two cents from October 2009. Prices for fresh fillets were up 10 cents from a year ago at $3.29 per pound. Total frozen fish averaged $2.60 per pound, up 13 cents from October 2009. Prices for frozen whole dressed fish were up 8 cents at $2.30 and frozen fillets at $3.02 per pound were up 10 cents from a year ago.

Freshwater imports for consumption of Ictalurus spp., Pangasius spp., and other catfish of the order Siluriformes for September 2010 totaled 11.6 million pounds, down seven per cent from the amount imported in September 2009. Imports were from Canada, China, Mexico, Thailand and Vietnam. The Ictalurus spp. imports totaled 195 thousand pounds, which were from Canada, China and Mexico.

Fresh, boneless catfish fillet exports totaled 38.6 thousand pounds, with all going to Canada. Exports of frozen, boneless catfish fillets reported for September 2010 totaled 16.4 thousand pounds, going to the Bahamas, China, Kuwait, the Netherlands and Vietnam.

Import and export data are compiled by the United States Census Bureau.

Further Reading

- You can view the full report by clicking here.