The workshop is being organized by WOC and the Canadian Centre for Fisheries Innovation, and held in conjunction with the World Seafood Congress (St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada, 30 September–3 October, 2013).
For workshop registration information and program click here. Space is limited and a few complimentary registrations are available for attendance by participants who are not attending the overall World Seafood Congress – register as soon as possible to not miss out.
Representatives from the fishing industry, marine technology/instrumentation, IT/communications, national and international oceanographic/meteorological organizations, existing voluntary observation programs, and scientific/research organizations are invited to participate.
The “Smart Fishing Vessels” workshop builds on the WOC “Smart Ocean/Smart Industries” global program to facilitate, coordinate and scale-up data collection and sharing by ocean industries.
The workshop will identify the data collection programs, methods and technologies available for fishing companies to use in collecting and sharing data by:
- Presenting ocean industry data-gathering experience that’s relevant to fisheries.
- Identifying constraints and opportunities for expanding the use of fishing vessels in data collection.
- Exploring what the fishing industry can learn from other ocean industries regarding collecting and sharing data.
- Highlighting the technology and instrumentation available for use on fishing vessels.
- Identifying the scientific priorities for fishing industry data collection, e.g. data types, locations.