Aquaculture for all
The Fish Site presents: The Vienna Sessions - Conversations about aquaculture. 9 video interviews with aquaculture thought leaders. Watch here.

Catfish Processing Up One Per Cent

Economics +1 more

US - Farm-raised catfish processed during November 2010 totaled 36.7 million pounds round weight, up 1 percent from November 2009. The average price paid to producers was 84.1 cents per pound for November 2010, up 0.9 cent from last month and 7.6 cents above a year ago.

Net pounds of processed fish sold during November 2010 totaled 15.9 million pounds, up one per cent from the comparable month in 2009. Sales of fresh fish, at 5.60 million pounds, were down six per cent from November 2009 and represented 35 per cent of total sales. Frozen fish sales, at 10.3 million pounds, were up six per cent from a year ago and accounted for the remaining 65 per cent of total fish sales. Sales of whole fish represented 18 per cent of the total fish sold, fillets accounted for 62 per cent, and the remaining 20 per cent were mostly steaks, nuggets, and value added products. The total end of the month inventory increased 14 per cent from last month but was down 16 per cent from a year ago.

The total fresh and frozen average price for November 2010 was $2.56, up five cents from a year ago. The November 2010 average price received by processors for total fresh fish was $2.47 per pound, up eight cents from last year. Prices for fresh whole fish were $1.61 per pound, up four cents from November 2009. Prices for fresh fillets were up 14 cents from a year ago at $3.32 per pound. Total frozen fish averaged $2.61 per pound, up three cents from November 2009. Prices for frozen whole dressed fish were up five cents at $2.23 and frozen fillets at $3.04 per pound were up nine cents from a year ago.

Freshwater imports for consumption of Ictalurus spp., Pangasius spp., and other catfish of the order Siluriformes for October 2010 totaled 15.0 million pounds, up nine per cent from the amount imported in October 2009. Imports were from Canada, China, Mexico, Spain, Thailand and Vietnam. The Ictalurus spp. imports totaled 196 thousand pounds, which were from Canada, China, Mexico and Vietnam.

Fresh, boneless catfish fillet exports totaled 72.5 thousand pounds, with 37.4 thousand pounds going to Canada and the rest going to Germany, the Netherlands Antilles and Nigeria. Exports of frozen, boneless catfish fillets reported for October 2010 totaled 20.3 thousand pounds, with all going to China.

Import and export data are compiled by the United States Census Bureau.

Further Reading

- You can view the full report by clicking here.