Director Juan Albaladejo, Jr. said that as of July 6, Calbayog waters have been tested positive for ted tide causing organism which causes Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning.
Calbayog water is the fourth body of water in Eastern Visayas to have been tested positive of red tide toxin within this week.
Earlier on July 4, BFAR has issued an advisory declaring Matarinao Bay in Eastern Samar and Irong-irong Bay and Cambatutay Bay, both in the province of Samar, positive of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning that is beyond the regulatory limit.
Matarinao Bay covers the towns of Salcedo, Quinapondan, General MacArthur and Hernani in Eastern Samar.
Irong-irong Bay covers the waters in Catbalogan City and Tarangnan in Samar, Director Albaladejo said.
Cambatutay Bay which has no history of red tide occurrence covers the town of Tarangnan, Director Albaladejo added saying that from now on it will added to the bodies of water that are regularly monitored by BFAR.
Albaladejo said all types of shellfish and Acetis SP or Alamang from said areas are not fit for human consumption.
Fish, squids, shrimps, and crabs are safe to eat, provided that they are fresh and washed thoroughly, and the internal organs such as gills and intestines are removed before cooking.
Albaladejo said BFAR’s attention was called on July 1, when the fishing community in Barangays Gallego and Bahay in Tarangnan, Samar fell ill after eating contaminated mussels, locally known as tahong, harvested from Cambatutay Bay.
A three-year-old boy and his grandfather died while 20 others were hospitalized since July 1 after eating shellfish contaminated with red tide toxins in Tarangnan while report of red tide contamination was also received from Catbalogan City, Albaladejo said.
Meanwhile, the Department of Health said a person who has consumed shellfish affected with the red tide toxin may experience any or combination of the following symptoms: facial numbness, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, breathing difficulty, abdominal cramps, and weakness or paralysis of one or more extremities.
In case one experiences or suspects paralytic shellfish poisoning, DOH advises that the patient must immediately be brought to the nearest healthcare facility for immediate and proper treatment.