The winners were selected from a field of 43 finalists and were announced this evening at a special Seafood Prix d’Elite reception.
Prins & Dingemanse of Yerseke in The Netherlands took the top award for best new retail product with its entry, Oyster Tasting Platter. An innovative approach to serving oysters, this product features three different kinds of oysters – four Zeeland oysters, four flat oysters and four French oysters – in a three compartment package. The selection allows the consumer to easily serve a fresh oyster platter and experience the three unique tastes. The judges particularly noted the freshness of the product and the way it encourages consumers to try new types of oysters.
In the foodservice category, the top prize was given to Grant’s Smokehouse of Maryport, UK for its product, MacKnight’s Smoked Salmon Bacon. The product is made from Atlantic salmon that is cured with a special blend of rock salt, spices and maple syrup then carefully air dried and smoked to create a rich, flavorful smoked salmon bacon. The judges noted the unique taste of the product and that it offers a healthy alternative to traditional bacon products.
In addition to the two grand prizes, the judges also gave five special awards:
- Prawn Lollipop from Dish Hospitality of Mumbai, India was awarded the Seafood Prix d’Elite special award for Convenience. This unique savory appetizer features prawns marinated in a North Indian Achari spice blend of anise, mustard, coriander, onion and cumin, then coated with crispy rice flakes. The lollipop includes a sugar cane stick, which infuses a juicy finish.
- The Seafood Prix d’Elite special prize for Health & Nutrition was won by Heiploeg Group of Oostende, Belgium for its product, Heidema & van der Ploeg North Sea Shrimp Stock. This concentrated shrimp stock is made at the source from just-landed North Sea shrimp. No artificial flavorings are added. Packed in glass jars, the stock is the perfect base for nutritious seafood soups and sauces.
- Krustagroup of Barcelona, Spain was given the Seafood Prix d’Elite special award for Retail Packaging for its Langostino Austral Pelado. These peeled and deveined Argentinean red shrimp are packed in a black trayskin pack that shows the consumer the size of the shrimp as well as the quantity they are buying. An attractive black and white outer box provides product details.
- Foodservice prize winner MacKnight’s Smoked Salmon Bacon from Grant’s Smokehouse was also presented with a Seafood Prix d’Elite special award for Originality. The product provides consumers with a healthy alternative to bacon that is high in omega-3 and kosher. The slices are portion-controlled for ease of use and to contain costs for foodservice operations.
- The new Saucy Fish Co. line of ready-to-serve products from Seachill of Grimsby in the United Kingdom was presented with a Seafood Prix d’Elite special award for Seafood Product Line. This chilled retail line features a range of seafood species offered with unique sauce combinations, including Salmon with Watercress & Crème Fraiche Sauce, Sea Bass with Beurre Blanc Sauce, Haddock with Mustard and Dill Sauce, and Salmon with Sunblush Tomato Dressing.
The 43 Seafood Prix d’Elite finalists in this year’s competition represented 14 countries. The countries of India and China were represented as finalists for the first time this year. The winners and the finalists will remain on display at a special Seafood Prix d’Elite stand at the European Seafood Exposition and Seafood Processing Europe, which ends today 29 April.