Aquaculture for all

Number Employed in Fisheries, Aquaculture Decreased in 2011

Sustainability Economics Politics +4 more

SLOVENIA - The number of persons employed in the fisheries sector in 2011 was slightly lower than in 2010, according to new statistics from the Statistical Offices of the Republic of Slovenia.

Lucy Towers thumbnail

In 2011, 332 persons were engaged in fisheries in Slovenia: 62 per cent of those persons were engaged in aquaculture, and the remaining 38 per cent were engaged in marine fishing. Compared to 2010, in 2011 the total number decreased by three per cent due to the reduction in the number of persons in employment in inland aquaculture production.

Marine fishing

In 2011, the total number of persons employed in marine fishing increased by two per cent over 2010. The number of persons employed in enterprises or by registered self-employed persons also increased by four per cent. Nevertheless, in marine fishing as economic activity self-employed persons still dominated.


In aquaculture in 2011 the number of persons in employment decreased by five per cent over 2010. In inland fish farming the number of persons in employment decreased by seven per cent, while in mariculture it increased by seven per cent.

In 2011 in aquaculture the number of employed persons was up by four per cent, as was the number of persons with full-time work, by nine per cent.

Fishing fleet in 2011

According to the data received from the Ministry of Agriculture and Environment, in 2011 the fishing fleet had 186 registered fishing vessels or 0.5 per cent more than in 2010. All other fleet characteristics remained nearly unchanged, too.

Facilities for fish farming and shell farming

In 2011 about 500 hectares of ponds were used for the production of freshwater warmwater fish. Additionally, 45 hectares of water area were used for shell farming. Total volume of all silos for rearing freshwater coldwater fish was 60,000 cubic metres, and total volume of cages for marine fish farming additional 18,200 cubic metres.

Compared to 2010, facilities for fish farming and shell farming remained unchanged.

Due to the changes in the method of collecting data on areas for shell farm production, the data are published for the 2009-2011 period.

Create an account now to keep reading

It'll only take a second and we'll take you right back to what you were reading. The best part? It's free.

Already have an account? Sign in here