Aquaculture for all

Individual Quotas Assigned for 2014 Anchovy Fishing

Sustainability Economics Politics +4 more

SPAIN - The Secretary General of Fisheries, Carlos Dominguez, announced the agreement by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment for the allocation of individual anchovy shares per vessel for 2014.

Lucy Towers thumbnail

This decision affects 87 ships, in the ports of Punta Umbria, Isla Cristina, Sanlucar de Barrameda and Barbate.

Mr Dominguez said this agreement will allow better management of the anchovy fishery throughout the year and will prevent the crowding of markets at certain times of the year, resulting in better prices.

Mr Dominguez said the allocation of quotas was defined by taking into account 70 per cent of the historical catches of each boat between 2005 and 2013. The remaining 30 per cent was distributed linearly, with an equal amount to all boats.

Together, the individual quotas allocated to each vessel by operating port is:

Barbate: 43.76 per cent
Isla Cristina: 19.23 per cent
Punta Umbria: 27.10 per cent
Sanlucar de Barrameda: 9.91 per cent

The Secretary General clarified that this fee is not transferable between vessels. However, Mr Dominguez specified that ships have the ability to put their quota's together and jointly manage ports or associations until exhausted.

Create an account now to keep reading

It'll only take a second and we'll take you right back to what you were reading. The best part? It's free.

Already have an account? Sign in here