The New South Wales Food Authority advises that toxins above safe levels for human consumption have been confirmed in shellfish from Ballina Beach.
Pipis and other shellfish taken from Ballina Beach and surrounding areas should not be eaten. Cooking does not destroy the toxins.
Symptoms of diarrhetic shellfish poisoning symptoms include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea, with diarrhea being the most commonly reported symptom.
Anyone experiencing these symptoms after eating wild seafood from or near the affected area should seek immediate medical attention.
Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning is rare but it is still important that people follow this advice so they do not get sick.
Recreational fishers are reminded that there is already a longstanding closure in place which makes it unlawful for recreational fishers to take pipis from beaches to eat or to remove them more than 50 metres from the high tide mark.
If any health effects are experienced from contact with water affected by algal blooms, medical advice should be promptly sought.