The Undersecretary of Fisheries and Aquaculture in Chile, Raul Súnico, and Deputy Minister of Animal Health and Regulations of the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Food of Guatemala, Byron Acevedo, agreed to work for mutual cooperation, the exchange of information and promotion of seafood between the two countries.
Mr Súnico explained that this agreement reflects the interest in "promoting mutual cooperation and facilitate contact to address any topic that is relevant in the field of fisheries and aquaculture".
Mutual cooperation could include:
- Exchange of information related to sustainable use of fisheries resources and aquaculture, taking into account health, environmental and socio-economic aspects, with emphasis on improving management of public policies and regulations.
- Promoting human consumption of seafood and development of value-added products.
- Exchange of information regarding processing and marketing of fishery and aquaculture products.
- Exchange of visits by officials/government and experts in order to learn from the experiences of both countries.
- Promoting relations between research institutions fisheries and aquaculture in both countries.