Organised by FAO and NEPAD, the engagement will bring together participants from Regional Fisheries Organisations, Regional Fisheries Bodies, Regional Economic Commissions, donors as well as civil society.
The aim of the Programme is to strengthen and accelerate the development of fisheries and aquaculture sector in terms of their governance and economic integration, management as well as adaptability and resilience to natural disasters and climate change.
By doing this, the Programme supports the development and implementation of a Comprehensive African Fisheries Reform Strategy promoted by NEPAD’s Action Plan for the Development of African Fisheries and Aquaculture as well as by the recent CAMFA recommendations, and addresses the rising importance of fisheries and aquaculture in meeting the MDG objectives while underlying their crucial role for economic development and poverty alleviation in Africa.
The objectives of the meeting are to:
- inform stakeholders of the Programme
- discuss and endorse the main outcomes of the Programme
- identify regional priorities from both regional Organisation’s and African Union/NEPADs perspective, contrasting these with on-going and pipelines activities;
- identify and agree upon priority actions to be undertaken by the Programme in the region, and
- suggest pilot work with a prioritised geographical focus.
The programme for the event will be announced soon.