Years of mismanagement have left the majority of EU fish stocks overfished. The new report, No Catch Investment, has calculated the costs of restoring fish stocks and found they are far outweighed by the economic benefits in the short and long term.
The key findings of the report states that:
- Most overfished stocks could be fully restored within five years, with a few needing four more years
- Investing 9.16 billion in restoring fish stocks would generate 4.43 billion profit by 2023
- After stocks are restored the total value of landings would almost triple, generating 14.62 billion in revenue each year
- The Return on Investment (ROI) of restoring fish stocks is 148 per cent by 2023
- By 2052 the returns are 14 for every 1 invested
Further ReadingYou can view the full report by clicking here.