Alex Adrian, aquaculture operations manager for The Crown Estate, said, “We are delighted to announce the 2011 winners and wish them, and the runners up, the very best with their business going forward.”
“All the winners displayed an exceptional level of innovation and responsibility in their approach to business and to environmental sustainability, and this bodes well for an industry that is critically important to Scottish coastal communities and local economies.”
Leading manufacturing company of fish farming equipment, Fusion Marine, won the prestigious Aquaculture Supplier of the Year award.
Commenting on the company's success, managing director, Stephen Divers, stated that Innovation, investment and continuing development of fish farming equipment is essential if Scotland is to maintain its status as one of the world leaders in marine aquaculture.
“The trend for the future in Scotland is almost certainly for salmon farming operations to move further offshore, which means the requirement for large and robust pens to securely contain fish,” he said.
“We recognised this requirement several years ago and this resulted in the development of our Triton fish farm pen that is now successfully used in Scotland and other locations around the world.”
“The development of Triton required considerable investment on our part and such a strategy has proved fundamental to the success of Fusion Marine.”
“We are delighted that our development of new designs and technology has been recognised at the Marine Aquaculture Awards and we will continue to innovate over the coming years by working closely with our partners in Scottish salmon farming sector.”
A full list of the winners are as follows:
- Farm Manager of the Year 2011 - David Duffy, Scottish Sea Farms
- Aquaculture Ambassador of the Year 2011 - Walter Speirs
- Aquaculture Processor or Retailer of the Year 2011 – Sainsbury’s
- Aquaculture Supplier of the Year 2011 - Fusion Marine
- Best Finfish Farm Award 2011 - Lismore North, Scottish Sea Farms
- Best Shellfish Farm Award 2011 - Isle of Colonsay Oysters
- Business Development Award 2011 - Grieg Seafood Hjaltland Ltd
- Stewardship Award 2011 - Wester Ross Fisheries Ltd
- Innovation Award 2011 - Marine Harvest (Scotland) Ltd
- Best Marine Aquaculture Company 2011 – The Scottish Salmon Company