Aquaculture for all
The Fish Site presents: The Vienna Sessions - Conversations about aquaculture. 9 video interviews with aquaculture thought leaders. Watch here.

Catch And Release Important For Wild Stocks


SCOTLAND, UK - Anglers continue to heed calls for catch and release according to figures released by Marine Scotland this week

Of the 72,595 total reported salmon and grilse caught by rod and line, anglers released 67 per cent back to the water. The figure rose to an even higher 82 per cent for vulnerable spring salmon, reflecting a continued trend for the practice.

In total, 85,450 salmon and grilse were caught in 2009. Rod and line constituted 85 per cent of the total Scottish catch in 2009. The remaining 15 per cent of were in fixed engine, and net and coble fisheries.

There were 33,103 sea trout caught in 2009, of which 23,725 were caught by rod and line. Of the rod caught sea trout, 66 per cent were released.

Fisheries Secretary Richard Lochhead said: "These figures demonstrate that Scotland's anglers are conscientious about sustaining freshwater stocks and are continuing to be vigilant towards vulnerable stocks.

"Our salmon fisheries are economically important to rural communities, and good practice such as catch and release helps to ensure a healthy industry and protect all sectors of the industry.

"Fisheries management remains important however, and District Salmon Fishery Boards should continue to work closely with local interests to try and address stock vulnerabilities."