Aquaculture for all

Anchovy Season Re-Opens In Spain

Economics +1 more

SPAIN - The re-opening of the anchovy fishery in the Bay of Biscay, has been welcomed by Environment and Marine Affairs Minister, Elena Espinosa.

The anchovy fishery in teh Bay of Biscay has been closed since 2006, due to low numbers of anchovy available. A ban on catches has been in place to allow stocks time to recover.

Last December, the Ministry of Fisheries for the EU, announced that fisheries could re-open with a total allowable catch (TAC) of 7,000 tons for the first half of 2010.

Elena Espinosa has stated that last July, the Council of Ministers of the EU adopted a new regulation to set a new TAC of 15,600 tonnes for the period from 1 July 2010 to June 30, 2011 . From this TAC, Spain was given a total of 14,040 tons , or 90 per cent, with France having the remaining 10 per cent.

Create an account now to keep reading

It'll only take a second and we'll take you right back to what you were reading. The best part? It's free.

Already have an account? Sign in here